Saturday, June 9, 2012

Random writing

Someday, I might actually write this into a story properly. But for now, it's just a random scene that popped into my head.


Haylan swam slowly out to meet them, his dark eyes flickering from Lotan to Harod.
    “Did we scare you so much?” Lotan chuckled. “Did you think we were spirits?”
    Haylan reddened. “Of course not.”
    “But you were scared,” Harod said. “Because we’re humans?”
    “There’s nothing frightening about humans,” Haylan said scornfully. “No, for a moment, I thought instead…”
    They waited a moment for him to continue, before Lotan prompted, “Thought what?”
    Haylan’s voice dropped to a whisper. “I thought you were water women.”
    In chorus, they asked, “Water women?”
    “You don’t know what they are?” They shook their heads. Haylan stared at them incredulously, and then turned and swam back to the bank.
    “Well, what are they?” Lotan demanded.
    Haylan caught at a bush and dragged himself onto the grass. “River demons.” Harod shivered in the water, and splashed to shore. Haylan made room for him on the bank and then continued mysteriously, “They appear as the most beautiful sylphs a man can imagine, with voices sweeter than harps and eyes like the moon on a fair night. And they sing. Whatever it is your heart dreams about, they sing. To a miser, they sing of gold; to a soldier, of fame and glory; to a lonely soul, of everlasting love.”
    “Demons indeed,” Lotan grinned. “I’d give a fair price to have a beautiful woman sing to me of my dreams.”
    “But they’re demons all the same,” Haylan whispered. “No faery dares approach the river when the water women sing.”
    Fascinated, Harod dropped his voice also. “Why not?”
    Haylan smiled grimly. “Because they’ll drag you under the waters and eat you.”

6 comments:

  1. Nicely written, although fantasy isn't my thing. Emma of Tin Lane:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. . Didn't expect that kind of ending. . I liked it!! I enjoyed reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you SHOULD make it into a story! It would be a FANTASTIC idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lady Rachel

    First, my apologuies for potentially being seen as spamming your blog. I tried to find an email address, but failed dismally. Of course, I'm an Idiot :-).
    I don;t know if you recall you posted to this thred at the Query Shark?

    http://queryshark.blogspot.ca/2010/08/172-ftw.html

    If you do, then I have news that may be of interest :-). I won't go further here, since that might be seen as a less than proper post - but should you choose, you can find me at:

    www.graeme-smith.net
    graeme@graeme-smith.net

    Again, my apologies if this post is in any way improper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Smith

    That query is one of the brightest stars in my reading horizons. And the book is now on my Kindle, awaiting my perusal.

    I read the sample pages on Amazon before I bought it (impatience, more than anything else). I love Queen Sonea already! My thanks for telling me about your book!

    ReplyDelete