Sunday, August 11, 2013

Favorite Movies Tag


1: List favorite movies (in any format that you like and the movies do not have to be in order).
(This video is very neat and a tribute to James’ favorite movies; I've seen most of these, but The Matrix and a few other clips were unfamiliar.
3: “Tag” other bloggers (optional).
So. Favorites. I don't know how to add pictures, so I'll just go with titles. In the order in which I think of them, they are:
1. LOTR trilogy. Because they were BRILLIANT. When they were first released, I was considered too young to handle them. (Probably a very accurate assessment, to be honest.) When I was finally allowed to watch them, my younger sister and I watched all of them about nine times in a row. ALL OF THEM. That's about nine hours, folks. We could quote whole scenes with the actors.
2. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, and Prince Caspian, the new movies. (I wasn't crazy about Voyage of the Dawn Treader.) Prince Caspian especially, because Reepicheep was hilarious and Edmund was seriously cool. "You are a mouse!" "You people have no imagination!"
3. Gunga Din, starring Cary Grant and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. I watched that movie about twelve times, and I'd still watch it again. A dashing adventure story, riffing off Kipling's excellent poem, with funny moments and suspense and a really funny scene involving a punch bowl.
4. The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer. Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, and Shirley Temple. This movie...oh this movie. Shirley Temple develops a crush on Grant's character, which results in a situation that doesn't look great for him. So her sister the judge (Loy) orders Grant to date Shirley until her crush wears off. Brilliant movie.
5. How to Steal a Million, Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole. Okay, this one is a caper film, which means the bad guys get away. Which means I shouldn't like it. However, it's very very funny, and in its defense, Hepburn is trying to move her father away from crime, and technically, she's not committing a crime because....Go watch the movie.
6. Pride and Prejudice, starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Pretty sure that's enough said.
7. The Avengers. I could watch this movie so so many times.
8. The Secret of Kells. This is an animated movie drawn in a style that evokes 12 century manuscripts, set in Ireland. Though the elements of Irish mysticism aren't cool, the movie is gorgeous, and the voice acting...Irish accents. I love Irish accents. The storyline isn't particularly complex, but it's well done.
9. Life is Beautiful. Italian movie set during WW2, about a Jewish man winning his wife, and then protecting his son through a concentration camp. I laughed, I cried...it moved me, Bob.
10. The Indiana Jones trilogy, especially The Last Crusade! Harrison Ford battling Nazis; what's not to like??

Honorable Mentions, because I'm supposed to limit myself to 10, but I like lots of movies: the Horatio Hornblower series, and Master and Commander, The Patriot (though I can only watch that about once per year, because blood is distressing), Cinderella Man...can I make that number 11? I loved that movie; I just can't handle it often because, again, blood. Anything Disney.

Okay, call it quits. Let's tag people.
1. Clara
2. Molly
3. Christie
4. Ken
5. Emma

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing my tag and for the kind words about my video!

    Excellent choice in movies, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is the best. Ever since watching in theaters I have loved those movies.

    Cary Grant was great in Gunga Din and Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer, he has done so many good movies but those are among his better ones. You might enjoy one of his other films, "North by Northwest" and "Charde" if you have not seen them before.

    The Avengers and Indiana Jones trilogy are my favorites too. The Avengers and Raiders are two of the few movies that I can multiple times in the same day and never get tried of watching.

    I like your taste in movies, I will follow your blog now.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I have seen those! "Notorious" is another excellent movie; Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains.

    Most of these movies made the list because I can watch all of them over and over without getting sick of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, "Notorious" is excellent! Another one of Grant's best and Bergman was great in that too. Two other Cary Grant movies I like are "To Catch a Thief" and "The Philadelphia Story," both are quite fun and humorous. :)

      -James

      Delete
  3. Another fantastic pair! "Arsenic and Old Lace" is another; his facial expressions are hilarious.

    Jimmy Stewart was in "The Philadelphia Story" too; have you seen "Harvey"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen "Arsenic and Old Lace," it sounds like something I would enjoy though.

      Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors, but no, I have not seen "Harvey," I should watch it though, I have heard a lot about it. Have you seen Rear Window or Vertigo? Those are my two favorite Stewart films, among the many of his I have seen.

      -James

      Delete
  4. I have indeed! I wasn't wild about Vertigo--too psychedelic for me. But it's undeniably a great movie.

    I like a lot of the noir classics, too, such as Casablanca, Sunset Boulevard, and Stalag 17.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to see Sunset Boulevard and Stalag 17, but I have heard about them. I have seen Casablanca though and I enjoyed it. Other classic noir films that I like are, the Maltese Falcon and the Big Sleep, those are two really great detective films with Bogart.

      -James

      Delete
    2. I've seen Maltese Falcon...I *think* I've seen the Big Sleep. I read the book, by Raymond Chandler.

      Fun fact: in the book, the chauffeur dies and is found in a submerged car. You never find out why, or who killed him, because Chandler forgot all about him!

      Delete
  5. Oooh! Some of these I haven't seen! Which is shocking. I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes - I live in a time warp. My favorite is Harold & Maude, from how long ago? Also, thanks for popping by Wordmonger. If you'd like an email when I update the site weekly, sling me an email address at csperryess@gmail,com.

    Toodaloo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, hey, time warps are fun! I think Harold & Maude is from the 80s...isn't it a British black comedy? Netflix tells me I will like this movie, so I've been meaning to watch it.

      Delete
  7. And long live the sesquipedalians!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel, I'm so sorry I didn't get around to commenting before!

    "Life is Beautiful" is one of my favorites!!! It was so well-done, I forgot they were speaking in Italian and simply followed the subtitles without a problem.

    ReplyDelete